Thursday, April 22, 2010

Pirate Table Paint-Up

This is the table. I started out with a 4'x4' sheet of 1/4 MDF. I cut the sheet down to 3'x3'. Next using a router and a jig, I cut the table into a circular shape. This took about an hour.

Next I put one coat of medium blue spray paint. This took 5 minutes and then I left it outside to dry for an hour.

Another view. Paint is not even so I will need to apply a second coat.

With the second coat. Much more uniform. This step also took 5 minutes and then I again left it outside to dry for an hour.

Here I used a dark blue spray paint and sprayed random dark blue lines and blotches. Another 5 minutes of my time. Only 30 minutes drying time.

I copied the step above but with a white spray paint. The random lines of dark blue and white add a sort of highlight and shade for the ocean. However, they are too dominant looking. I will need to lightly dust the surface with medium blue again.

So far this has taken 1 hour and 20 minutes not including 3 hours of drying time.

More to follow.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Artizan Arabs Update

Ok, another quick update. Pictures to follow.

All primed black, base coat of GW Bolt Gun Metal/Scorched Brown on all rifles. Scorched brown on all leather. Cathan Brown for all the skin.

Next, a wash of Delvan Mud, and assorted highlights and basing

Sunday, April 4, 2010


So I glued my 22 Artizan WWI Arab Irregulars(next pulp game)onto pennies and got out my trusty can of black primer.

I had everything laid out and ready and began priming the models.

Well, what do you know, I ran out of primer halfway through.

As it is the Easter long weekend, I have to wait until Tuesday before I can finish.

Luckily this project shouldn't take too long as the troops are wearing black robes.

But the moral of the story is to have a second can on hand just in case.

Saturday, April 3, 2010

36" Round Pirate Table

I attended Hot Lead 2010 in Stratford ON, on Mar 27th, 2010. I saw this huge blue table with dozens of miniature pirate ships. It looked interesting but as I was focused on picking up my pulp miniatures for another project I did not give it much thought.

I started thinking about this game on the way home and after some quick searching online, I learned it was called Pirates of the Spanish Main.

A few days later, I attended a local hobby store and began to inquire about the pirate game. I found out that they had the game in stock and were selling the packages for a deeply discounted price $1.00-2.00 per pack instead of $5.00.

Well, you can imagine I was quite happy about this. I could purchase and experiment with a new game system without having to shell out a lot of money.

For those who are unfamiliar with Pirates of the Spanish Main, each game pack consists of 2 ships, an island, a crew card and a treasure card. The miniatures are on plastic cards that can be punched out and assembled.

So I walked out of there with 32 ships, 16 islands and a whole assortment of crew/treasure for approx. $18.00 after tax.

I looked at the island cards and they were decent looking but I wanted some real terrain. At this point I remembered that I had seen this game on one of my bookmarked websites.

Unfortunately this website has not been updated for quite a while but the project for making a games table inspired my to do the same.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

April Fool

Well, it seems, that while I have started off strong, March was not very productive for my town. I acquired 5 Mexicans armed with rifles but that is it.

When it comes to war-gaming, I have too many great ideas and not enough follow through.

In March, I started a pulp game based on the Mummy, and Pirates of The Spanish Main CSG, and I played some LOTR. I have gotten side-tracked.

I will post more to follow, and probably start putting in some of my other mini adventures.